- The Science
- Scientific Literature
ÓSKARE FUND I – Key Points
1 This pioneer investment fund (up to €150 M) will have a global scope but will be focusing its investments in European companies and teams developing disruptive solutions and technologies.
We will not be investing in growers or in anything related to recreational or “adult use” cannabis.
2 Unlike many other funds in this sector, ÓSKARE CAPITAL will prioritize development of medical, wellness and pharmaceutical products, developing new molecules and formulations combining cannabinoids with already approved pharmaceutical products for which there is strong scientific rationale to utilize cannabinoids.
3 We will invest in products and services generating solutions and tangible outcomes critical to the medical cannabis infrastructure in Europe. The fund will seek to invest in early stage companies but also look for more mature targets in order to balance risk and reward (from seed to series C).
INVESTING ACROSS THE ENTIRE VALUE CHAIN: FROM LIFE SCIENCES TO “PICKS AND SHOVELS”
- SYNTHETIC CANNABINOIDS
(novel & existing)
- MODULATORS OF THE ENDOCANNABINOID SYSTEM
- NOVEL AND RARE
- NOVEL AGRICULTURAL TECHNOLOGIES
- PLANT GENETIC TECHNOLOGIES
- FORMULATION CREATION & PROCESSING
- CANNABINOID DELIVERY SYSTEMS
- CANNABINOID DELIVERY DEVICES
- SPECIALIZED SUPPLY CHAIN DISTRIBUTION TECHNOLOGIES AND SYSTEMS
- TOLLERS AND CMOs
- SPECIALIZED CROs FOR PRECLINICAL RESEARCH AND CLINICAL TRIALS
- NEW PROCESSES TO VALORIZE HEMP AND CANNABIS BIOMASS
- ENDOCANNABINOID SYSTEM
- ANIMAL HEALTH AND WELLNESS PRODUCTS
- TECH PLATFORMS TO FACILITATE HCP PRESCRIPTION OF ENDOCANNABINOID BASED THERAPIES
- TECH PLATFORMS TO ACCESS TO THERAPIES
- NON-THERAPEUTIC HEMP AND CANNABIS DERIVATIVES
- BIOMASS AND WASTE PRODUCT UPCYCLING AND TRANSFORMATION
CANNABINOIDS IN EUROPE: NOW IS THE TIME TO INVEST
Estimated size of medical cannabis market in Europe by 2024 owing largely to the domination of Western Europe and German markets.
Over €15 billion
Estimated size of legal cannabis in Europe by 2029.
WE’RE ALREADY DELIVERING
WITH OUR FIRST INVESTMENT (2019) IN COPENHAGEN BASED OCTARINE BIO
OUR FIRST INVESTMENT: OCTARINE BIO
- Company Octarine
- Investment Area Emerging Markets, Derived Products and Circular Economy
- Location Copenhagen, Denmark
- Website: https://octarinebio.com/
Octarine harnesses synthetic biology to develop functionally superior cannabinoid and psilocybin derivatives.
Our mission is to improve the health and well-being of people worldwide
Using our unique biosynthetic platform we engineer microorganisms to produce a range of natural and novel cannabinoid and psilocybin derived molecules with improved pharmacokinetic and therapeutic properties.
Tall plants, can be up to 5m, usually grown for fibre and seed. Usually Grown Outdoors.
It’s a fiber based variety have low concentration of cannabinoids.
Short plants, generally 1-2m, usually grown for flowers containing THC and cannabinoids. Can be grown indoors.
It’s commonly known as marijuana, this variety is rich in cannabinoids. It has been used for medicinal and recreational purposes.
THE ENDOCANNABINOID SYSTEM
Discovered in 1992, this system is found in all vertebrate species, it has been used as the body’s way to create homeostasis and adapt to environmental changes.
The principal endocannabinoid receptors are:
CB1: located in areas of the brain, especially those concerned with movement, coordination, pain and sensory perception, emotion, memory, cognition, autonomic and endocrine functions.
CB2: located in areas of the brain as well as the immune system, gastrointestinal system, spleen, thymus gland, tonsils, and pancreas.
RESEARCHERS ARE TARGETING
CANNABINOIDS BEYOND EPILEPSY, SPASTICITY AND PAIN
THE CANNABINOID MOLECULES
Cannabinoids can be produced naturally (extracting actives from cannabis plant) or synthetically (chemical synthesis or via synthetic biotechnology) and are even present in our own bodies (Endocannabinoids)
ÓSKARE IS FOCUSED ON TANGIBLE OUTCOMES
ÓSKARE CAPITAL will focus on investments aimed at creating outcomes and solutions to unmet needs and unrealized opportunities within healthcare and the medical cannabis sector.
We will look to invest in companies developing new molecules and combination products for specific medical conditions in human and animals, as well as the needed technologies and infrastructure related to realize the opportunities presented by cannabinoids.
- Improve Cognitive Function
in the Elderly and those
- Improve Concentration for
those with ADD and other
Mental Health Issues
- Reduce Anxiety
- Improve Cognitive
Function in those with
- Cardiomyopathy and Congestive Heart Failure
- Uveitis and Inflammatory
- Atopic Dermatitis and Psoriasis
- Hepatocellular Carcinoma and Lung Cancer
QUALITY OF LIFE
- Reduce Anxiety in Seniors
Living in Care Facilities
- Improve Athletic
Performance and Recovery
- Chronic Pain including
break-through pain (cancer)
- Improve Low Sex Drive
- Freeman TP, Hindocha C, Green SB, Bloomfield MAP. Medicinal use of cannabinoid. BMJ. 2019; 365: l1141.
- Medical use of cannabinoid and cannabinoids. European Monitoring Center for Drugs and Drug Addiction, 2018.
- The Health Effects of Cannabis and Cannabinoids: the current state of evidence and recommendations for research. The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine, 2017
- Fraguas-Sánchez, Torres-Suárez. Medical Use of Cannabinoids. Drugs. 2018 Nov;78(16):1665-1703.
- Hillen JB, Soulsby N, Alderman C, et al. Safety and effectiveness of cannabinoids for the treatment of neuropsychiatric symptoms in dementia: a systematic review. Ther Adv Drug Saf.2019;10:1-23.
- Friedman D, French JA, Maccarrone M. Safety, efficacy, and mechanisms of action of cannabinoids in neurological disorders. Lancet Neurol. 2019 May;18(5):504-512.
- Das S, Kaul K, Mishra S et al. Cannabinoid Signaling in Cancer. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2019;1162:51-6.
- Moreno E, Cavic M, Krivokuca A et al. The Endocannabinoid System as a Target in Cancer Diseases: Are We There Yet? Front Pharmacol. 2019; 10: 339.
- Schwarz R, Ramer R, Hinz B. Targeting the endocannabinoid system as a potential anticancer approach. Drug Metab Rev. 2018; 50(1):26-53.
- Hohmann T, Feese K, Greither T, et al. Synthetic Cannabinoids Influence the Invasion of Glioblastoma Cell Lines in a Cell- and Receptor-Dependent Manner. Cancers 2019; 11(2): 161-181.
- Rajesh M, Mukhopadhyay P, Batkai S et al. Cannabidiol Attenuates Cardiac Dysfunction, Oxidative Stress, Fibrosis, and Inflammatory and Cell Death Signaling Pathways in Diabetic Cardiomyopathy. Am Coll Cardiol 2010; 56: 2115-2125.